Davis and Shaw Families of North Carolina
 
Morgan David[1]
Male 1622 - 1694

HomeHome    SearchSearch    PrintPrint    Login - User: anonymousLogin    Add BookmarkAdd Bookmark

Personal Information    |    Notes    |    Sources    |    All    |    PDF

  • Birth  1622  Graigddu and Gwaunadda Farms Dinas Llantrisant Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Gender  Male 
    Record ID Number  MH:I11432 
    _UID  739DD71D-9A67-4C96-9766-CCFD320C1072 
    _UPD  30 DEC 2009 19:45:22 GMT-5 
    Died  Dec 1694  Welch Tract Pennsylvania Find all individuals with events at this location 
    Person ID  I6322  Shaw Family of North Carolina
    Last Modified  20 Feb 2014 
     
    Family  Catherine Howell 
    Record ID Number  MH:F4333 
    _UID  BA30D6C7-4A1E-4569-91B4-69DD839542A7 
    _UPD  30 DEC 2009 19:45:04 GMT-5 
    Children 
     1. John David Davis,   b. 1680
     2. Evan David Davis Sr,   b. 1685
     3. Elizabeth Davis,   b. 1688
     4. Catherine David Davis,   b. 1688
     5. David David Davis,   b. 1693
    Family ID  F2260  Group Sheet
     
  • Notes 
    • From Joe Whitehurst joensal@pacbell.net


      SURNAME: Children sometimes listed as DAVIS.

      !UNPROVEN: Information from "The Davis FAmily in Wales and America" by Harry Alexander Davis, pub 1927, Wash DC. Morgan Davis ba 1622-3 Lantwidvoyrde, Glamorgan, Wales, info from book by Harry Alexander Davis. Morgan married Catherine late in life, settled Lithrens Castle, Pembrokeshire 1686 or bef to PA probably on ship "Vine" which arrived 1684; will dated 15 Dec 1694/5 (WBA-354) Editors of DAVIS CLEARING HOUSE say much of the book has been diproven. ! Further research is needed.
      {Another Morgan Davis is listed b 1622 in Cardiff, Wales same death date, son Evan David b 1685 Marion Twp, Penn d 1748 m 1712 Jane Reese-moved to South Carolina. Other children Benjamin Davis m Elizabeth Bowen bur Camden Sc 34 SC Regt comm by Col. Wm Thompson, pvt. enlistd 26 Nov 1778 prisoner 9 Jan 1779, Benj. Davis, Jr., youngest of 9 sons Jefferson Co., Tn? m Priscilla Jones, dau of Reps Jones his will 26 Oct 1824 (B. Davis), children 1. Alexander Davis b 1790 d 1808, Elizabeth David b 20 Feb 1791, Benjamin David III b 1792 m. nancy Campbell, Joseph H David m 7 Dec 1837 Amanda Jarnigan, Grainger Co., Tn (LDS), RepsJones David m 1. Malinda Singleton dau of John. m. 2 Isabelle McCroskey Bogle This from Sudie Clemmer letter 14 Dec 1973, Asbury Acres Maryville, TN 37801 in book "DAVIS FAMILIES OF CHESTER CO PENNSYLVANIA" edited by DAVIS CLEARING HOUSE.}
      Morgan David, yeoman, Merion Twp. Philadelphia Co, PA WB A-354 FIle #149 Rec. 15 Dec 1694/5. Wife, Catherine, sole executx. Children: John, oldest sons; Evan; son David, legacies to daus: Katherine & Elizabeth; to Meeting House in Haverford. ref: Philadelphia Wills LDS microfilm 384806.

      DAVID, Morgan, b. ca. 1622/23, Llantwit Fardre, Glamorgan. Morgan m. Catherine DAVIS, and settled at Liyhrens (sic) Castle, Pembrokeshire (possibly Llawhaden Castle?). Son John (and possibly others) b. 1679-1685, Wales. Family emigrated before 1686 to America on the Vine, joining the Welsh Colony in Pennsylvania, possibly with Welsh Baptist group from Capel Rhydwilym, Llandysilio, Carmarthenshire.
      Submitted by: Bob Hemphill

      DAVID, Morgan, b. 1622, Llantwit-Fardre, Glamorgan, son of David ap IEUAN (of Llantwit-Fardre) and Catherine. Morgan d. Dec 1694, Welsh Tract of Pennsylvania, America.
      Submitted by: Deborah Keser

      Llawhaden Castle
      10m E of Havorfordwest, Pembrokeshire, south Wales
      Location map link for Llawhaden Castle




      Copyright 1998 by Lise Hull

      William the Conqueror not only brought feudalism to his new kingdom. He also invited various religious communities to establish themselves in Britain. Cistercians, Benedictines, Premonstratensians, Carthusians, and other monastic groups made their way across the English Channel and built beautiful abbeys and priories, many of which are now in ruin. In many ways, however, the leaders of the various orders had much the same power as the lords of the realm. And, with that power came wealth and the ability to build palaces.

      Among the most powerful clerics in the medieval realm were the Bishops of St. David's. These men supplanted the native Welsh religious sects in the early 12th century and ruled the See of St. David's in support of the Norman king. Owning vast estates, they lived in grandeur comparable to that of their secular counterparts. Great bishops palaces were erected in St. David's, Lamphey, and Llawhaden. They also owned "inns", or great houses, in London and in Ludlow, where the Council of Wales and the Marches took place. Minor residences also existed in Llanddewi, Llandygwydd, New Moat, Trefin, and Wolfscastle. While none of the smaller houses has survived, the three great palaces remain in splendid ruin, currently under the care of CADW: Welsh Historic Monuments.

      Men with great power often needed a sturdy residence to defend themselves. The Bishops of St. David's were no exceptions. In many ways, a bishop's palace was his castle. Like a castle, the palace contained quarters for a garrison and servants, a domestic wing with the hall, kitchen and service rooms, and the bishop's luxurious private apartments. Oftentimes, the structure was fortified with battlements, an encircling curtain wall or deep moat, and a gatehouse. Generally however, the palaces were not as heavily fortified as a real castle. Only one of the three palaces of the Bishops of St. David's resembled a true castle. That castle still towers high above the valleys of Pembrokeshire. That castle is Llawhaden.

      Below: the 13th-century gatehouse at Llawhaden Castle.


      Llawhaden Castle is located about 8 miles east of Haverfordwest, just off the A40. Bounded by hedgerows, the narrow approach road into Llawhaden gives no hint that the great bishops once took refuge here. Even the village itself, quiet and rather secluded, hides the splendor of its medieval past. The bishop's castle takes a little effort to locate, but the short stroll from the car park is a nice surprise, lined with pretty flowers and charming homes. The name of the village and its castle, Llawhaden, apparently derives from Llanhuadain or Llanaedan, "the Church of St. Aidan" (which still stands to the east of the castle).

      Most likely, Llawhaden began as an earth and timber castle in the 12th century, the prize of the Norman Bishop Bernard. Over time, Llawhaden underwent several alterations as different bishops left their mark. Like many castles, this one sat high atop a hill. Like many castles, a deep ditch and earthen embankment formed the earliest outer defenses. They still give the castle a sense of power. And, like many earth and timber castles, the defenses were refortified with stone, in this case, in response to a siege led by the Welshman, the Lord Rhys, in the late 12th century.

      In the 13th century, Bishop Thomas Bek (1280-93) made arguably the greatest impact at Llawhaden, when he established and expanded the village. Bek's work at the castle includes the complex hall block, with its kitchen and service rooms (buttery and pantry) and stone-vaulted undercrofts, and the bishop's elaborately adorned chambers above (complete with latrines!). Today, this sector of the castle is largely ruined, but still radiates the prestige of its occupant.

      Below right: The castle well & hall ruins


      During the next century, the bishops added the twin-towered gatehouse, the most impressive structure at Llawhaden Castle. Looming directly over the dry ditch, its foreboding face would have intimidated anyone seeking entry. Although the exterior has been well preserved, the interior of the gatehouse is now disappointingly decayed.

      At the same time, a fine range of domestic buildings was added on the southern side of the castle. Some rooms served as apartments and contained fireplaces and private latrines. At the eastern sat the chapel, which still contains lovely arched windows, a cruciform ceiling, and plasterwork. The chapel tower next to the chapel was even more elaborate, with a fireplace, a latrine, vaulted rooms, and access to the battlements. Ironically, the dungeon was located In the basement of the chapel tower.

      Below: Chapel & Guest Chambers from the side of the castle motte.

      The most distinguishing feature of this wing is a five-storied tower-porch, which can still be climbed and towers high above the other structures inside the castle. Clearly, this unique structure not only functioned as an observation tower, but also announced (albeit silently!) the bishop's superior status.

      After the Dissolution of the Monasteries in the 16th century, the roles of the Bishops of St. David's changed dramatically. Their palaces in West Wales fell into ruin and they abandoned their great castle at Llawhaden. Later, Llawhaden Castle became a quarry for local building material, degrading the structure even farther.

      Imposing Llawhaden Castle sits aloof yet intimately connected to the nearby village. The neighboring countryside, so typically Welsh, is a resplendent and undulating green, painted with rugged patches of trees and velvety pasturelands. The grey stone castle is a haunting contrast to its vivid surroundings, recalling the eventful history and splendor of the Bishops of St. David's.

      Lise Hull is a freelance writer specializing in Welsh heritage, a contributing editor for Ninnau, and on the staff of Renaissance Magazine. She also owns Castles Unlimited, a business dedicated to the study and promotion of British castles. Visit her website, the Castles of Britain, at http://www.castles-of-britain.com.

      She may be reached at:
      150 8th Street SW
      Bandon, OR 97411.
      E-mail: castlesu@harborside.com.

      DAVID, Morgan, yeoman, bap. Jun 2, 1771, Llantrisant, Glamorgan, resident of Graigddu and Gwaunadda Farms, Dinas, Llantrisant. Married Ann ?; children: Morgan; Susannah, b. 1798 (m. Benjamin DAVIES, clothier of Troed-yr-aur, Cardiganshire - his 2nd marriage); Friswith (m. William WILLIAMS of Lan Farm, Llanwonno, Glamorgan); and Jennet (m. Enoch EVANS, weaver). Morgan d. Sep 5, 1868, Graigddu Farm; bur. Llantrisant.
      Submitted by: Jill Muir

      [Cherryhome.FTW]


      Morgan David migrated to America from Pembrokeshire, South Wales on the ship Vine, 1684 to Welsh Settlement, Merion Township, PA. From the First Families of America.

      Wills proved at Philadelphia per the Pensylvania Geneological Magazine
      "No. 149. Morgan David, Merion Township, Phil Co., yeoman. Land to sons John, Evan and David. Wife Kathrin David to have the residue of the land, she to be Executrix. Daughters Catherine and Elizabeth, sixty pounds to be equally divided. Legacy to meeting house in Haverford. William Howell, Morris Llewellyn, Francis Howell and David Lawrence to be Overseers and Guardians. Leaves legacy to meeting house in Haverford. Mentions property called Chestnutt-well and Beech-well.
      Signed with his mark 12 15 1697/5. Proved 718 1695.
      Witnesses: Robert Owen, Rowland Powell, John Humphreys."

      This Davis family covers a period of about two hundred and ninety years. This is a remarkable record when you consider that Hezekial Davis stated he was born in WInston-Salem near Moravian Town in North Carolina and his father had a bible and could write, because he said, "he copied the record from his father's bible record."

      We have consistently followed the names of Harmon, Eliphas (Eli), Abagah, Jepthi, Jesse, John, Reason and Vann. These names appear to be bible names and show a deep religious feeling among this Davis family.

      Section 1 Newberry S.C. and Gwinnett Co GA.
      [G6205.ged.FTW]


      More About MORGAN DAVID:
      Immigration: 1644, Lithrens Castle, Pembrokeshire on the ship "Vine"76
      Property: 1637, Lantrissent 1637 DD804 (Ind)76
      Will: December 15, 1694, PA WB A-354 FIle #14976
     
  • Sources 
    1. [S246] Preciado Web Site, Alaine Preciado, Morgan David (Reliability: 3), 30 Dec 2009.
      Added by confirming a Smart Match